|Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Medical Assistant (MA)
This position is: Full Time
Position Location: Clinical
- Obtain patient histories and reasons for seeking care
and performs physical assessments.
- Prepares and assists with exams and procedures that
are carried out by practitioners.
- Clean and sterilize supplies, exam rooms and
equipment as indicated.
- Prepares charts and other medical records for clinic
in accordance with LSUHN policies and procedures.
- Assist with scheduling patient appointments with the
- Always administers injections using aseptic technique
and documenting the procedure on the appropriate forms and using the
appropriate ICD-9/ICD-10 code.
- Observe patient and document signs and symptoms of
illness, reactions to treatment, general behavior and general physical
- Call in prescriptions and/or refills for the patient
as ordered by the practitioner.
- Adheres to LSUHN telephone policies.
- Escorts patients to examinations/procedure room,
obtain vital signs, weights, heights and other information as required.
- Always provide continuity of care.
- Collect lab specimens and perform dipstick urine
tests and UCG tests.
- Participates fully in patient education to improve
- Assist physician with obtaining cultures and filling
out lab and diagnostic requisition slips.
- Notifies physician of all abnormal lab and diagnostic
test results ASAP.
- Enhances the organization's reputation by accepting
ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring
opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Performs all duties assigned by a supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
Ability to analyze
data, perform multiple tasks and work independently. Must be highly organized
and able to work in a fast-paced environment. Must be able to develop and
maintain professional, service-oriented working relationships with patients,
physicians, co-workers and supervisors. Superior customer service and
communication skills are vital to this role.
Ability to plan,
organize and prioritize. Ability to work with all departments and personnel
levels. Ability to effectively care for patients and families of all age
groups. Occasionally lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires a
full range of body motion enabling the incumbent to handle and lift patients.
Must possess basic
computer and math skills to perform data entry accurately and efficiently.
Requires a general
educational background equivalent to a high school diploma or GED. Diploma from
an accredited LPN program and current LA LPN license required for Practical Nurses.
Diploma from an accredited Medical Assisting program required for Medical
Assistants. MA Certification preferred. Current CPR certification with 1-2 years
of hospital or clinic experience preferred.
Ability to communicate
Potential travel to
other LSU Healthcare Network locations may be required.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY